5 March 2007

more on the weather

After the weekend's weather comes this reminder that, in fact, the real problem is drought. In addition to Shandong, one of China's major grain producers, the article also mentions Sichuan, Chongqing and Guizhou. Sichuan and Chongqing had a serious drought over the summer, so it's not surprising they're still facing severe water shortages, but I don't think anybody would've picked Guizhou for a province lacking water. Given Guizhou's reputation, you would've thought the local definition of 'drought' was 'four straight days without rain'.

I don't mean for this to suddenly turn into a 'China weather blog'. Really. I mean, I have no expertise whatsoever to offer in that area. But the weather's been so strange lately it's starting to remind me of a New Zealand spring.

No comments: