10 March 2007

ummm.....

While I can understand Tu Yaqing's sentiments, I mean, I wouldn't want to be wandering around New Zealand confronted by Chinese-only signs, I really have to wonder if he's living in the same China as I am. And last I heard, there was only one. The government seems fairly insistent on that point. I mean, I really can't think of the last time I saw an English-only sign in China. Really. Most signs I see are Chinese-only, or characters and pinyin, or Chinese and English. Can't think of any English-only signs.

"The lawmaker suggested the use of multiple languages on public signs to satisfy both locals and foreigners."

Well, fine, but.... I'm going to stand firm in my insistence that foreigners are just going to have to wake up and realise the international settlements and all the privileges they brought disappeared way back in 1949. And some Chinese people are going to have to do the same. Some people here, Chinese and foreign are living way behind the times. But in areas with large numbers of tourists and perhaps expats, sure, go with the multilingual signs. I believe that's a pretty common practice around the world.

If this makes no sense, that's because I got basically no sleep last night. 我真的特别麻烦。Felt perfectly fine yesterday afternoon. Went out for dinner with a couple of friends. Ate only simple stuff, no meat, nothing even remotely spicy, but I only managed to eat a little and then I felt like shit again. Came home and rested. Bedtime came, and I was awake most of the night. Pain in the bloody arse.

No comments: